I know i have been bad with posting new recipes this last month.. my uncle passed away so its been really tough for our family… Thank you for your patience.
If you guys have never tried this salad I am super excited for you to do so! Its definitely a unique salad that is delicious and different than your typical salads. This salad is very similar to “shuba” but it doesn’t have the fish in it, its only vegetables. (not a fan of fish in my salads Also my mom made it this way as long as i can remember
If your not Russian this salad probably looks very interesting to you but i promise you guys its fantastic, its absolutely delicious. Make sure you top it off with pomegranate it gives this salad a nice crunch and flavor to it.. Its a must for me
This salad works very well for potluck parties or just dinner at home and even with just a slice of bread! mmmmmmmmm
Russian Layered Harvest Salad
- 7 Eggs, light boil for 10-12 min
- 7 Carrots, light boil 15 min
- 4 Potatoes, light boil 20-30 min
- 1 Large Beet or 2 regular size, light boil for 1hr- 1 1/2 hours
- 1 Small Onion, chopped finely
- Once the carrots, potatoes and beets are done boiling make sure to poke with a knife to see if soft, if not just add a few more minutes until soft.
- Cool off all the boiled vegetables completely before shredding them.
- First shred the boiled potatoes once they have fully cooled off, Then spread out to a bottom of a big plate or dish and add about 4-5 tablespoons of mayonnaise and blend in with spoon or fork slightly not to turn it into a mash of potatoes (you want to keep it fluffy)
- Sprinkle the top layer of potatoes with salt and 1/3 of the chopped onion.
- Then peel and shred the carrots, add to a bowl and mix in 1/3 of the chopped onion and about 3-5 tablespoons of mayonnaise and salt to taste (you want the carrots creamy) Spread the carrot mixture evenly over the potatoes.
- Next add the eggs into a bowl and the remaining 1/3 of the chopped onion, 3-5 tbsp mayonnaise and salt to taste. Spread mixture over the carrots evenly.
- Shred the beets and spread evenly over the eggs.
- Top the beets off with pomegranate seeds.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate it for a couple hours.
If you have never tried this salad and make it please let me know how you like it